Pages

10 July 2012

One Stitch at a Time!

My interest in vintage fashion includes sourcing fabrics and materials from various charity shops and fairs. Over the last year I have dedicated my time to learn the new skill of knitting. I wanted a hobby that I could carry around with me to fulfil my creativity everyday. I knit on the train, my lunch break or in front of the television.

My Creative Knits book is my knitting bible. The majority of my knowledge on the craft has come from this book (and my mum). Luckily, I found it for £2 in a charity shop a couple of years ago when I decided that I was going to learn to knit. The book was published in 1989, which gives the style of stitches and patterns a vintage touch.

Creative Knits book
My goal is to start from the beginning learning the basic stitches and gradually being able to master the more complicated ones. I practise each stitch by making a long scarf so my technique becomes flawless (well, after a few mistakes that is). Towards the back of the book there is a section dedicated to sweaters. My aim is to be able to follow a pattern and knit a cute jumper. I am determined to get there!

Lattice Stitch

Finished scarf complete with tassels.
I plan to crazily knit through the Summer and have lots ready to sell in Winter. I already have 8 in storage and I am working on my next one. Don't worry I will remind everybody when the days become colder and of course you will need a Vintage Amy scarf : ) I hope so anyways! I can knit hats to co-ordinate too!

Why not take up a creative hobby yourself, whether this is knitting, crotchet or cross stitch. It is great to have a craft that can result in unique presents for family or friends or something you can wear yourself with pride. I'm amazed how quickly I have developed. Go on why not give it a go??

Be creative,

Vintage Amy xx

No comments:

Post a Comment